Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sam I Am at Houston Symphony

Yesterday, I had the awesome experience of performing Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs & Ham at the Houston Symphony. I was Sam, dressed in a red costume complete with red fuzzy hat. There is nothing like singing with a full symphony behind you! Jones Hall is a great place. I even had my own dressing room complete with bathroom and a piano to help with my warmups. There were about 2,000 at each of the 2 shows. Since the first show was at 10 am and I had gotten home around 12 am from opera rehearsal, I had to work to get going. I showered, ate breakfast, then made the 45 minute drive, warming my voice up all the way. The conductor, Robert Franz and my co-star, Alicia Gianni, were so fun to work with and made it a great show. We rhearsed about 4 times (only once with the symphony other times with pianist) for this show and then did a run through with our mikes on Saturday morning. Thanks also to Roger Dailey for hiring me and providing so much help and support. I even got to go back to Jones Hall last night and see Wayne Brady in concert and learn from watching him perform. As far as my road to success, I got great experience and training and exposure to a new audience. My mom will spend time updating my resume. Now my question for you is, "Do you like green eggs and ham?"

No comments: