Wednesday, September 9, 2009

13 Opens School Matinee Tomorrow & then Friday

I’ve been in 12 theatre productions and have to say 13 is one of my favorites. The music is great and the show is awesome. I’ve had a lot of fun with this cast. We’ve hung out together at Dave & Busters and other places. Some of us even sang the national anthem at the Dynamo Game. This makes the scenes where we are friends on the show seem more real because we’ve gotten to know each other. I’m the only actual 13 year old in the show but the cast has been great. I can relate to some of the things in the show like Evan planning his party. I had to decide where I should have my big 13th birthday party. I ended up having a laser tag party. It was a big decision where I should have it so I understand why the party place is such a big deal to Evan.

My character in 13 is Archie. He is living with a disabling disease but has such a great sense of humor about it. He laughs at himself to make others feel more comfortable. I don’t have to live with anything as serious as that but being a guy who likes to sing, dance and act can be tough at times because kids will make fun of you and want to know what sport you do or when you’re going to take a break to focus on something like athletics or just hanging out. I won a comedic monologue contest a year ago doing a spin on a bully wanting me to teach him to dance since the school dance was coming up so like Archie I’ve learned to laugh with others about it. That’s a great thing about being in an all teen cast where all of us have tons of the same interests. I know no one will make fun of me for singing or dancing.

I think the parents who see the show will get some insight in to how much pressure there is to fit in at school, make the grade, get a date, etc. For the teens who see the show I hope they’ll see in the end it doesn’t matter how many friends you have but the quality of the friendships you have. My biggest hope is that those who see the show will be nicer to those who seem a little different. I just got to spend some time in California with a girl who had muscular dystrophy like Archie in the show has. Even though she has struggles with upper body movements, she was just like me – likes to sing, swim, laugh and hates homework. It made me appreciate no matter what we look like on the outside, it’s how we act and who we are that counts.

No comments: