Sunday, November 2, 2008

Opera - it’s not what you expect

I just finished my 4th opera with Houston Grand Opera. All have been so much fun. The first was Hansel & Gretel where the witch was a giant man operated puppet with singer inside. We staged this opera twice once indoor and the other outdoor with numerous peformances. At the outdoor performances, in addition to singing I also got to be a puppeteer, which was harder than it looked to keep your arm up working the puppet during the song. The second was Cunning Little Vixen where in addition to being a fox cub singing with the children's chorus, I also got to be a fly playing football. In Billy Budd, my 3rd opera, I was with all men/boys and liked my costume as an officer in training and the singing the best. While in Billy Budd, NPR radio came to the opera and I was interviewed on stage by Christopher O'Riley. It was neat to be in a radio recording process. In the 2 operas I just finished last night - Pagliacci & Cavaleria Rusticana- I got to sing Italian for the first time and also got to be a bad kid smoking. The cigarette had powder instead of nicotine. Everything is first class at the opera from the directors, musicians, costumes, sets, props, and most definitely the singers. I am treated so professionally and look forward now to starting rehearsals for MidSummer Night's Dream next week. If you haven't tried the opera you should experience it. We've had sets that were platforms or turntables moving, clowns juggling, and puppets bigger than life. Give it a try, I think you'll be surprised.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I met a fan of yours at Staci and Gerald's house this weekend! She is in the opera with you and thinks you are really cool! She is 11. I will leave her name anonymous!